Re: Too lazy to read the docs. Was: Dealing with SPAMy

From: Joe Rhett <jrhett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:56:58 -0800 (PST)

> >Honestly, I find it almost useless to read squid-users because 99% of it
> >is people far too lazy to actually read the available docs. Forcing them
> >to subscribe could only improve the content level of the list.
>
> Being a computer consultant for over 10 years, I still find the squid docs
> hard to understand.
>
> Yes - there are some users who ask "stupid" questions, but a lot of the
> users get a RTFM reply about things that are easy to misunderstand from the
> docs.

That's fine.. but those people could be bother to subscribe. The ones
who don't bother to subscribe are also the ones who don't bother to
read.

Funny thing is, I got the squid proxy compiled and running in less than
15 minutes. I went option by option through the config file and tuned
everything in around 4 hours. The only thing I had trouble with was the
cachemgr cgi. All from the available documentation.

Real problems, fine. Real confusion, fine. But over half of this list is
completely regurgitated in the FAQ .. every day.
        "Can it do .." "How do I.." ... bleh.

The most common discussion on here sounds like this: "I have this
hardware (x, y, z) - what's my optimal configuration?" Over half of
these are textbook configurations from the information in the FAQ! They
didn't bother to read. And people obligue them on the list

To be honest, my procmail filters only save mail to/from about 5 of the
people on the list, every so often I open the filters back up looking
for a specific topic (like now) .. and end up closing them off without
learning anything again. Just from inundation of messages from people
who won't RTFM, and people who happily help them out.

--
Joe Rhett						  Systems Engineer
JRhett@Navigist.Com					  Navigist