Re: squid-users-digest Digest V98 #120

From: Michael O'Reilly <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 10:55:42 +0800

> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 12:28:49 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bill Wichers <billw@unix0.waveform.net>
> Subject: Re: Squid hangs up twice.

Hmm. This isn't a disk error, it's a memory error. If it was a disk
error then it would spit SCSI messages about aborts and timeouts.

Basically, you've got bad ram. This could mean that the ram isn't fast
enough for your machine, or that you're running the timings too fast,
or it's a rubbish motherboard.

Solution is either to use ECC ram, or try swapping for a better
motherboard or better ram, or playing with the BIOS memory settings.

Michael.

> I've had similar problems on machines that were pieced together with "less
> than amazing" hard drives. Servers that do a lot of disk activity -- which
> is DEFINATLY what a Squid server is -- require good quality drives.
[ ... ]

[ .. ]