Re: Upgrading from squid v1.1.* to squid v1.2-beta18 ...

From: Mark Visser <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:30:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Henny Bekker wrote:

> dear all,
>
> I've been asked to talk to some people on the differences of squid v1.1.* and
> squid v1.2.*.. I also would like to tell them how to perform the upgrade from
> squid v1.1.* to squid v1.2 if the would like to try the beta version of Squid.

hmm..guess i'll have to wait till wednesday to answer your questions
during your talk ? ;-)

> The questions I have:
> - Is it necessary to clear the cache, or is it possible to reuse the objects
> in the cache by removing the squid log (index) file??
> [I've read something on removing all 'swap.state*' but these are not known
> yet on squid v1.1.*....]

Cord wrote a perl script (scacot.pl) to transform your cache between
different cache configurations. In short it reads the squid.conf file and
checks for swap_level_dirs 1 & 2. It then rewrites the cache.log to
resemble the new configuration. That way you won't loose your cache.
However, he states it himself: it is untested, your cache is down while
transforming, and it it slow. It should be possible to rewrite this
script to do the conversion from 1.1 to 1.2, but starting with a new cache
is most times faster. With an average LRU of about 7 days (which seems to
be the best) you'll have your cache filled again in a week.

> - In squid v1.1.* the size of the cache was directly related to the size of
> the available RAM.. Squid v1.1.* uses approximately 64-Bytes of RAM for
> every object it holds in cache.. In squid v1.2 this seems to be less..
> Also the HOT cache seems to be gone..
> What ican be the size of the new cache with squid v1.2 with the same amount
> of RAM ??

I guess that's because Squid 1.2 combines the best of both 1.1 regular and
1.1.NOVM. In 1.1.NOVM you also don't have a HOT cache (at least not in
mine ;)). It also seems to no longer have a FQDN cache.

> - Does someone know of a fast way to pre-load the cache with a number of
> most wanted/used objects??

That's a nice one. Squid doesn't know of the most wanted objects when
started, unless the was an option to dump this list at shutdowntime, and
reread that file at startup time. Might be a nice option.

Mark

Mark Visser | Student Civiele Technologie & Management
Calslaan 26 - 31 | E-mail: mark@cal026031.student.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede | SNT-mail: mark@snt.utwente.nl
Telephone: 053-4895038 |
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.