Re: Squid Upgrade

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:54:05 +0200

Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I am upgrading our squid cache from 750 MB to about 6 GB. Currently I
> am using 1.1.17 are there any compelling reasons to upgrade to 1.1.20?
> Should I consider the NOVM version? Anyone know some gotchas I might
> be overlooking? Running on Linux 2.0.33, 64 MB of system RAM, will
> probably upgrade to 96 MB of RAM.

According to my experience, you need something like 2MB of RAM for 100 MB
of squid's cache (NOVM version).

So 5GB more need something like 100MB more RAM.

If 1.1.17 works for you and the modifications made from 1.1.17 to 1.1.20
is not important for you (see the Change Log :
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/1.1/1.1.21/ChangeLog) why change?

But as writen above, you will need more RAM and you should probably
consider NOVM. If your cache is heavily used, you will probably have to
patch your kernel to handle more filedescriptors. NOVM uses 4
filedescriptors for each connexion if I remember correctly and Linux allow
only 256 filedescriptors per process (50-60 simultaneous connexions).

Lionel

PS: I never succeed to apply the filedescriptor patch for 2.0.30 to a
2.0.33 kernel.
Did someone succeed? If so, please send me the step by step procedure
(squid is becoming more and more popular on my campus so the
filedescriptor usage is growing :)