Re: Squid Upgrade

From: Fraser Campbell <fraser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:12:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Lionel Bouton wrote:

> According to my experience, you need something like 2MB of RAM for 100 MB
> of squid's cache (NOVM version).
>
> So 5GB more need something like 100MB more RAM.

According to the Squid FAQ you need 5 MB RAM for every 1 GB of disk cache.
So for my 6 GB I should need to allocate only 30 MB of RAM if the FAQ is
correct. Do you disagree with the FAQ??? I will be upgrading the server
to 96 MB of RAM so I am going to give squid 50 MB RAM ... shouldn't this
work, anyone else?

> If 1.1.17 works for you and the modifications made from 1.1.17 to 1.1.20
> is not important for you (see the Change Log :
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/1.1/1.1.21/ChangeLog) why change?
>
> But as writen above, you will need more RAM and you should probably
> consider NOVM. If your cache is heavily used, you will probably have to
> patch your kernel to handle more filedescriptors. NOVM uses 4
> filedescriptors for each connexion if I remember correctly and Linux allow
> only 256 filedescriptors per process (50-60 simultaneous connexions).

This is good. If correct I have nothing to worry about. The absolute
maximum number of users we have at once is 60. We should be fine. The
odds of every single user accessing squid at once are 1 in a million -
right ;-) Will have to look at increasing file descriptors down the road
though probably.

Thanks for the reply,

Fraser

* Fraser M. Campbell, Hanover, Ontario, Canada N4N 3C4 *
* Email: fraser@greynet.net Phone: (519) 364-6115 *
* http://www.greynet.net/fraser/ *