Re: Squid Upgrade

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Lionel Bouton wrote:
> According to the Squid FAQ you need 5 MB RAM for every 1 GB of disk cache.
> So for my 6 GB I should need to allocate only 30 MB of RAM if the FAQ is
> correct. Do you disagree with the FAQ??? I will be upgrading the server
> to 96 MB of RAM so I am going to give squid 50 MB RAM ... shouldn't this
> work, anyone else?

Squid is very RAM hungry. The 2 MB RAM per 100 MB cache is probably what
he saw Squid using *total*, which is a bit different than the amount of
the sum of the object data that squid holds in RAM. On my caches the 2 MB
RAM per 100 MB of cache is not far off actually...

> This is good. If correct I have nothing to worry about. The absolute
> maximum number of users we have at once is 60. We should be fine. The
> odds of every single user accessing squid at once are 1 in a million -
> right ;-) Will have to look at increasing file descriptors down the road
> though probably.

But that 1 time will result in a whole lot of users that all come pointing
angry fingers at you :-) It's very easy and straight forward to patch the
kernel to 1024 file descriptors, you can do it by hand with a text editor.
The process has been detailed on the list several times before so if
you're interested a quick search of the archive will show you the steps.
Always better to be safe than sorry!

        -Bill