Re: Squid Upgrade

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:17:53 +1000

Daryl Lim wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:10:08 +1000
> > From: Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au>
> > To: Fraser Campbell <fraser@greynet.net>
> > Cc: Squid Users Digest <squid-users@nlanr.net>
> > Subject: Re: Squid Upgrade
>
> > If you are using linux-2.0.33, there's an interesting bit of news. A
> > memory corruption bug was introduced accidentally in that kernel
> > version. A patch became available just this week, when it was located.
> > It bites you when you run out of RAM.
>
> Yup . I ran into that bug .. A few weeks ago I upgraded my Squid Box kernel
> from 2.0.29 -> 2.0.33 and things ran fine for a day . And then all of a sudden
> all of my swap space was marked in use . As time grew .. The programs I could
> run had to be smaller (Use less RAM) . Until finally not even ls worked
> (Core dump). After a few more daily reboots I got sick of this and returned to
> 2.0.29 .. Everything ran back to normal ..Although when 2.0.33 was running I
> noticed a significant performance increase . I guess the performance re-writes
> they did from 2.0.30 .
>
> Anyway glad to hear it's been fixed .. Maybe I should have reported this to the
> kernel develop. group . I hope they bring out 2.0.34 soon if they aren't moving
> to 2.2 already ..

2.0.34 is out. It also has the memory corruption bug. 2.0.35 is in
pre-release, and this fix should be in that. 2.0.34 can be considered
unstable in other ways. I'd give it a miss.

2.1.xx has undergone feature-freeze, and the bugs are being hammered out
now. 2.2.0 will be along when it turns up, but I expect it by the middle
of the year. IMO. YMMV.