Re: Squid Upgrade

From: Daryl Lim <dlim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:31:30 +0000

> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:10:08 +1000
> From: Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au>
> To: Fraser Campbell <fraser@greynet.net>
> Cc: Squid Users Digest <squid-users@nlanr.net>
> Subject: Re: Squid Upgrade

> If you are using linux-2.0.33, there's an interesting bit of news. A
> memory corruption bug was introduced accidentally in that kernel
> version. A patch became available just this week, when it was located.
> It bites you when you run out of RAM.

Yup . I ran into that bug .. A few weeks ago I upgraded my Squid Box kernel
from 2.0.29 -> 2.0.33 and things ran fine for a day . And then all of a sudden
all of my swap space was marked in use . As time grew .. The programs I could
run had to be smaller (Use less RAM) . Until finally not even ls worked
(Core dump). After a few more daily reboots I got sick of this and returned to
2.0.29 .. Everything ran back to normal ..Although when 2.0.33 was running I
noticed a significant performance increase . I guess the performance re-writes
they did from 2.0.30 .

Anyway glad to hear it's been fixed .. Maybe I should have reported this to the
kernel develop. group . I hope they bring out 2.0.34 soon if they aren't moving
to 2.2 already ..

Daryl,

-=>Daryl Lim<=- -| email : daryl@genesis.pakuranga.school.nz