Re: forced use of squid

From: John Lauro <jlauro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 98 12:48:00 -0500

Don't forget there are down sides...

1. It doesn't catch all the pages that are on ports besides 80.

2. If you are having problems with a site, it's more difficult to test
that *1* site bypassing the proxy, and leaving all other connections
through the proxy.

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:16:24 -0500, Jacob Suter wrote:
>Set up transparent proxy. Its:
>
>1 - More reliable - If the squid proxy gets goofy, you can turn off the
>redirection and let things go normally.

If you are using autoconfig, you can just adjust you autoconfig....

>2 - No pissed customers - They don't have to go muck around with proxy
>settings

From what I have heard, most people who blocked port 80 had far less
pissed off customers then they expected. (Best if you redirect port 80
to a static info page instead of dropping the packets off
completely...)

>3 - It even gets those proxy-unfriendly programs to go through squid.

Sorry, not aware of any. Also, it doesn't get FTP, which can save a
big chunk of bandwidth as those are generally larger file....