Re: Multi-Host vs. Single Host

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:07:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Krishna Das wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but I would like to know if it is possible or desirable
> to combine Squid, with Apache Web Server and SendMail Server? Does it make
> sense to install all three packages in one machine? Should it be more than
> one computer?

I'm supporting a few hundred users transferring several hundred megabytes
of web browsing and 2,500 e-mail messages per day on a Pentium 133 with
256MB of memory, but the only thing that the Apache server is doing is
serving up the proxy.pac file and a few MRTG graphs, but then I'm also
pulling a sizable news feed.

As always, it depends. I'm having a bit of disk I/O contention problems
at the moment, but if you design your system carefully that can be
avoided.

        -Mike Pelletier.