Re: Multi-Host vs. Single Host

From: Martin Ibert <mib@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:19:17 +0200

Krishna Das wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but I would like to know if it is possible
> or desirable
> to combine Squid, with Apache Web Server and SendMail Server?
> Does it make
> sense to install all three packages in one machine? Should it
> be more than
> one computer?

That depends on what you are trying to do. In principle, there is
nothing wrong with running all of these services on just one machine.
It's debatable if running sendmail on any machine is a good idea - I'm a
big Smail fan, but maybe that's just me.

I serve just over twenty users with a K75(ish) no-name clone machine, 4
GB EIDE disk, 32 MB core, FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE. In runs Apache (though
it is not very busy), Smail 3.2.0.101, Squid 1.1.21 (and a 1.2b as a
I had had a choice, the machine would have looked differently. But that
box was available at the time, so I used it.)

If you are solely responsible for administrating all those services,
running all of them on the same machine makes sense; you got less
machines to care for, house, feed, entertain, clean after and hold hands
with. One reason for using multiple machines would be to have different
people in charge of different services, so they don't need to know each
other's root password.

> I'm trying to move away from NT (for cost and performance
> reasons).

That's good. :-)

Dipl.-Inform. Martin Ibert - phone: +49-30-245-56582, fax: -56577
BB-DATA Systemhaus GmbH, Brunnenstraße 111, 13355 Berlin, Germany
------------------ http://www.asdis.de/ -- mailto:mib@asdis.de --