Re: Hacking uses_host_header to only fetch from Accel.host

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:02:23 +0200

pedward@webcom.com wrote:

> So, is squid really as bad as I think it is in regards that
> there is no single place where I can change it to get the
> data from the accel host, but log to the cache the HTTP/1.1
> Host: hostname?

You can.

There are two known ways, neither requires access to the sources:

1. Use a redirector. Redirectors currently only rewrites the request
URL, leaving the Host: header alone. Be warned that Squid caches the
pages on the rewritten URLs so you need to rewrite to unique names for
each domain, and have these private names in the name service used by
Squid.

2. Have the Squid accelerator server use a local host table or a
different DNS server, that maps the accelerated server names to your
HTTP server. I would recommend this one.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker