Re: Micro$oft Authentication

From: Scott Donovan <sdd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:05:28 +1000

>I've gone as far as getting the squid proxy-auth patch to call the likes of
>smbclient (works well - as it caches too), but it still only supports BASIC
>authentication - i.e. passwords in the clear/etc.

 There is a way to force passwords into the clear..

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

>I'd love to see a "true" NTLM patch for Apache/Squid - but the encryption
>coding required probably puts most people off...

 Samba will also maintain its on "encrypted" password set with the
smbpasswd system. But this won't help you authenticate into the domain
unless samba is the domain controller :-)