RE: Advice on a HUGE configuration: !!!+800 Hits/sec!!!.

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:59:22 -0400

> Hi squidders,
>
> We need some kind of advice, because a customer has requested us a big
> behemoth of Squid configuration. They requested a configuration capable
> of handling +800Hits/second on peak times.

The best thing to do for something which requires this much load is either:

a) Go non-intel.. Alpha's are much better suited for higher loads. You can
buy one from http://www.digital.com if you want to go straight to the
source, however I'd recommend a place which has Linux or FreeBSD
preinstalled on it. http://www.linux.org/vendors/systems.html has a list of
different vendors. Not sure who puts FreeBSD on hardware though.

b) Go with multiple machines and distribute the load.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com