Re: Squid vs. Netscape Proxy

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 23:17:25 +0200

Hi

> > goals to ICP, although I can mentally expand the acronym and that makes
> > it sound different 'something-array-redundant-proxies' perhaps?
> >
> > Whatever. The only thing that I've seen that uses CARP had a choice: ICP
> > or CARP, with pretty much the same config options for either. I suspect
> > CARP may be ICP+something more. ICP on steroids, if you will.
>
> I seem to recall "Cache Array Routing Protocol", based on the browsers
> choosing
> a cache based on a hash of the URL (or similar), so there is no need for
> inter-cache communication since a given URL will only be server by one cache.

The original idea is at:
http://naragw.sharp.co.jp/sps/

(it's definitely worth reading.. it's a good idea).

The "spec" is in draft-vinod-carp-v1-03.txt

(at the nearest Internet-Draft mirror.. ours is at
ftp.is.co.za/internet-drafts/draft-vinod-carp-v1-03.txt)

Basically, the features are:

1) No duplication between caches
2) No communication between caches
3) Equal load on caches (or at least you can specify that cacheX will
        be X times more loaded than cacheY)

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice