Re: Squid vs. Netscape Proxy

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:18:41 +0800

Dancer wrote:

> But - as Mike-P said - I also thought that CARP was not dissimilar in
> goals to ICP, although I can mentally expand the acronym and that makes
> it sound different 'something-array-redundant-proxies' perhaps?
>
> Whatever. The only thing that I've seen that uses CARP had a choice: ICP
> or CARP, with pretty much the same config options for either. I suspect
> CARP may be ICP+something more. ICP on steroids, if you will.

I seem to recall "Cache Array Routing Protocol", based on the browsers
choosing
a cache based on a hash of the URL (or similar), so there is no need for
inter-cache communication since a given URL will only be server by one cache.

For "dumb" clients, you can probably put in a front-end cache which
basically redirects requests to the correct one.

David.