Re: Banner-busting an idea!

From: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:24:15 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi Squiders!
>
> Here's the case;
> I have experimented with a banner buster, while testing I have used a
> thingy found at http://www.junkbuster.com/ and used my squid as a backend
> proxy.
>
> I would like to implement this on my squid as it really kicks ass, but I
> find i a bit un ethic just to force this on my users and would like to give
> them the choice of whether or not they want the banners/commercials.
>
> What I really would like to do is to start a 2nd instance of squid that
> just do the banner-busting on an other port say 8001 and maybe a 3rd on say
> port 8002, these instances should of cause take advantage of the same cache
> as the ordinary instance of squid.
>
> Can this be done? Has anyone experience with this? Ideas welcome

I have had a similar problem. My solution was to use a redirector. In order
to allow my users to decide if they want banners or not, I used the
multiple-ports.patch from Lincoln Dale and modified it in two ways:

1. Adapted it for squid-1.1.21

2. Modified it in a way, that the port on which squid has been contacted
   is being passed to redirect.c and there it can be decided, depending
   on the port, whether the redirector should be used or not.

So I still have only one instance of squid running which does all the work.

This solution doesn't use junkbuster but you said "Ideas welcome" :-)

If you, ore someone else, like the patch, tell me.

        -Andre