Re: Banner-busting an idea!

From: Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:44:19 +0200

On 1998-04-25T16:24:15,
   Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> said:

> I have had a similar problem. My solution was to use a redirector. In order
> to allow my users to decide if they want banners or not, I used the
> multiple-ports.patch from Lincoln Dale and modified it in two ways:

We are using a pretty complicated redirector too, to provide "enhanced proxy
services" (which basically is just what you describe, filtering/blocking
stuff), redirecting "bad" requests to a 1x1 pixel transparent gif.

This approach has several shortcomings though:

1. It only allows matching based on the URL. We don't get to see the
   complete request.
2. It is impossible to filter (on) cookies this way.
3. It does NOT allow filtering based on the reply headers send by the
   server. "text/html" is almost never an ad, mostly they are "image/*".
   (You still could abort transfering the whole file from the server or at
   least prevent the client from having to transfer it)

In short, while this approach sort-of works, squid needs a more general
interface for implementing hooks. I don't know if 1.2 is going to be more
modular, but it would be a big improvement.

Maybe one day, squid will link happily with libperl ;-)

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée
Chief Technical Administration and Support