RE: Filehandle patch & Linux Kernels.

From: <nicole@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:05:21 -0800

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
>
> > > Hi squidders,
> > >
> > > Does anyone has forwarded to Linus Torvalds the Michael O'Reilly
> > > filehandle patch and requesting to be included in future kernels? this
> > > patch could be interesting to other people who uses Linux for other uses
> > > like NFS, FTP or WWW serving?
> >
> > The last filehandle patch will not work on 2.0.34pre11 w/ a Cyrix CPU, it
> > halts during the switch to userspace (when INIT starts doing it's thing).
>
> On inet-access they were discussing building squid boxes. Someone
> suggested using a Cyrix CPU to save money. This is probably a really good
> example of why you shouldn't.
>
> I'll stay with Intel, thank you.

 I have been building all of our squid boxes with FreeBSD OS, AMD K6 233 processors and Abit motherboards. It works VERY well. I had to go with the AMD as they where the fastest processor I could find to fit in the case I really wanted to use (http://www.siliconrax.com/products/chassis/ts_sr-489.htm) It is the only computer case I could find that allows me to have up to 10 drives with GREAT cooling. But alas it only supports AT style MB.

Nicole

 nicole@webweaver.net |\ __ /| (`\ http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o |__ ) ) http://www.dangermouse.org/
 admin@mediacity.com // \\ http://www.mediacity.com/