Re: how to find a good port?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:10:36 -0400 (EDT)

Make that three reasons... I have to run some of my client's Squid boxes
on port 8080 because the client wants to run some piece of "less than
amazingly well designed" software (like Surf Watch) that thinks that
proxies should only exist on 8080. Surf Watch, for example, is "100%
compatible with M$ proxy server", thus you can tell it to use a "proxy
server" which it automatically interprets as "connections will be going to
port 8080". When I used port 3128 originally Surf Watch was effectivly
bypassed (maybe something for everyone to watch out for if their clients
run Surf Watch), and the only solution I found was to run Squid on port
8080.

        -Bill