Re: Stopping Netscape 4 Bookmarks from reloading pages

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:10:15 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Mark Burton wrote:

> However, accessing a page through the same bookmarks using Netscape 4
> always fails with DNS lookup failure when not connected to the outside
> world. It seems to me that Netscape 4 is fascistly forcing the page to
> be reloaded when it is accessed via a bookmark.

Damn - isn't this the same (or very similar) to a problem we first
discovered (and discussed on this mailing list) when Netscape 4.0 first
appeared? I thought they'd managed to fix that around Version 4.03 or
thereabouts?

Confirmed, Netscape Navigator 4.05 under SunOS 5.5.1 definitely fires off
"client refresh" queries for bookmarks.

> Is it possible to stop this happening?

Well, you can hack Squid or you can complain to Netscape to get the
behaviour either fixed, or at least made optional. Damn, damn, damn..

Cheers..

dave