Squid byte-count reporting...

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:22:01 -0400 (EDT)

It appears that Squid only increments its byte count when the object has
finished transferring. This is noticable when graphing the bytes using
MRTG when large objects are transferred.

For instance, if you compare my graphs from yesterday at around
5:00-6:00pm at <http://proxy.comshare.com/monitor/>, for the Internet
Leased-Line traffic and the Squid Cache Bytes-per-minute, you see a tall
spike in the Squid graph at about 6:00pm, but you see a good amount of
ongoing inbound traffic from 5:00 to 6:00 on the leased-line graph.

What this says to me is that someone spent an hour downloading a very
large file, but Squid only reflected it in its byte counts at the end of
the hour at which time it was picked up by MRTG as a sudden spurt of data.

Is this really the case? How hard would it be to have Squid update its
counts on an ongoing basis if it is the case?

        -Mike Pelletier.

--
Support the Astronaut Dollar Coin Initiative:
                           <http://home.rmi.net/~dcarr/dollar.htm>