Re: upgrading trouble

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:48:06 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Rick Kunze wrote:

> I set up squid on a new BSDI box. BSDI came with 1.1beta16. I downloaded
> the new version, 2.1 I believe...

The latest beta is 1.2beta20.
The latest VM release is 1.1.21.
The latest NOVM release is 1.NOVM.21.

If you are running 1.1beta16 and want a newer version, I recommend you
move to 1.1.21; do NOT under ANY circumstances install 1.2beta unless you
REALLY know what you are doing and are prepared for possible problems. As
the beta Web page says:

  "This is BETA software. Do not run this on your production systems.
  Logfile formats are subject (and likely) to change at any time
  without warning."
                    - http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/1.2.beta/

(That goes for anyone else trying to install the "latest and greatest".)

> It seems to be running just as before, but if I intentionally call up a
> bogus URL with my browser, the squid-produced failure message still says it
> was generated with 1.1beta16. Is this normal?

No - this means you're still running 1.1beta16.

dave