Squid Disinformation

From: Adrian Sunderland <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:10:36 +0100

I read with interest an article in today's UK issue of Network Week about web-caching. The article included comments from Ed Gordon, Managing Director of Inktomi (Europe). In particular, when asked whether European ISPs were ready for more sophisticated caching products, he said:

"There are some early adopters in Europe, but people have been using freeware - products like Squid - which doesn't have transparency, or is not dynamic, scalable or offer the performance"

As a Squid user since the beginning and a Harvest user before that, this kind of disinformation really p****s me off.

Perhaps somebody at NLANR would like to make a response to Network Week, so newcomers to web caching don't get sucked in by the marketing hype of commercial cache vendors.

If anybody who doesn't receive Network Week would like a scanned copy of the article e-mailing to you, just drop me a line.

Adrian Sunderland
Technical Director
Griffin Internet