Re: Size of cache.

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

It depends a lot on how similar your user's traffic patterns are. If all
your users go to the same place(s), then you can build a small cache of
only a few hundred MB. If your users do a lot of random "surfing", or if
their traffic is similar but involves a large number of sites, then
you'll need a much larger cache.

If your users do just surf a lot then a larger disk cache should result in
a larger hit rate for your cache. I'd start off with 4 GB and if you don't
see a high enough hit rate and your cache is flushing too often, then you
can add another 4 GB drive. Just make a few cache_dir entries and put them
all on the 4 GB drive at first. If you need to add another drive later you
can distribute the cache_dirs evenly over all your drives and add disk
space without losing your cache.

        -Bill