Squid 1.2beta20 & Proxy_Auth

From: Tim Brody <bvr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:43:14 +0100

I'm nothing but problems =)

I've installed squid 1.2 which should give me the control I need over user access BUT the password auth is failing. I have a passwd htpasswd formatted file (username:crypt(pass)) and an appropriate acl:

acl passwd proxy_auth /usr/local/squid/etc/idx/passwd 30
acl testpage url_regex test\.html

http_access allow testpage passwd

But the authorization always fails (it doesn't accept username/password combi). I've tried it with a clean file, changing write/read permissions on the password file but nothing seems to work.

I can't see any doc on this feature ~ I assume it's some kinda of rehash of the proxy_auth patch, but without the external program use???

Also...real novice stuff this...do I apply the squid patchs to fix acl core dump/ftp dirs (latest patch) by doing:
cat patchfilename | patch -p0
That's only thing I've ever seen on patching code, if I'm wrong pls tell what the appropriate command is!

Any help most definetly needed!
Tim.