Re: Mozilla Expires: 'correctness' checks?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 00:26:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, David J N Begley wrote:

> Indeed it would .. alas, many sites duplicate identical information in
> multiple places across their site (wonderful these "automatic site
> generators", eh what..). And these people try to tell me that I should
> use image WIDTH/HEIGHT tags to improve the performance of pages - HA!

Actually, when used in conjunction with a good directory tree for the
website, the image size tags can improve the apparent load speed of a
page. Users like to be able to start reading the page immediatly, and
image sized tags generally allow the textual information to be rendered by
the browser before the pages images have been transferred.

I wasn't aware that the Netscape sources had become available yet. I
thought they were going to wait until they had Navigator 5.0 at some
magic point in development. Does it look like any of the list's "dream
features" will be able to be easily implemented or modified to work
"correctly"? Netscape has all kinds of quirks in its handling of IMS stuff
right now. Any user of MRTG will attest to this...

        -Bill