Re: HTTP headers

From: Ernst Heiri <heiri@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 08:43:50 +0200

On Sat, 02 May 1998 02:03:02 +1000 Dancer wrote:

> > > Second: I'm using <meta http-equiv="Last-Modified" ...> and
> > > resulting document in Squid's cache doesn't contain Expires: header at al
> l,
> > > and Last-Modified set to last access time of document, but not to used
> > > in <meta ...> directive? I'm afraid, that Apache ignores this directives
> in
> > > documents and send default parameters in his reply. Why? I think, this
> > > second problem is cause of first.
> >
> > Perhaps you have to enable something in Apache to process META tags. A whil
> > ago, there was a "META-discussion" on this list, and somebody claimed that
> > Apache does process META tags. Squid does not interpret message bodies and,
> > thus, is not aware of you META tags.
>
> Unless there's an apache module that does it that I have not seen, no,
> apache doesn't process META tags. I've done some experiments on this in
> the past, thinking (perhaps foolishly) that it might support that, but
> alas, no. :(

META tags in the HTML part of a HTTP object are not setting any
HTTP-Headers - they are interpreted by browsers (netscape at least) only.

So - META tags do not influence the behavior of squid because squid uses
Expires and Last Modified values in HTTP headers only.

To set HTTP headers explicitly you may compile apache with the option:
        Module cern_meta_module mod_cern_meta.o

And configure srm.conf
        MetaDir .
        MetaSuffix .meta

Finally you can add a *.meta file for each *.html (or *.gif) with the
explicit HTTP headers. For the file
        test.html
generate
        test.meta