RE: efficency of squid

From: Marc van Selm <selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 10:20:09 +0200

At 10:00 AM 5/8/98 +1000, Stephen Moore wrote:
>I am finding that squid caches http well but ftp not quite as well. I
>download from both home and work and find that files i know i have
>downloaded at home are not cached when i get to work.

Thats not a limitation of squid but a limitation of FTP. For HTTP squid does
an IMS when a file is stale (on average older than a few hours) and most
likely the www-server returns: use-local-cache.

FTP doesn't have this and when files are stale they have to be considered
outdated. You can decide to up the time before a FTP-ed file gets stale
using the refresh-policy but you might end up with outdated files when doing
FTP. A carefull configuration will help you here...

Marc

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm