Re: 1.2.20beta crash

From: Dirk Vleugels <Dirk.Vleugels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:22:25 +0200

Quoting Henrik Nordstrom (hno@hem.passagen.se):
> Dirk Vleugels wrote:
>
> > Well, i've played with 1.2.20 a little more and tried to raise
> > NUMTHREADS to 32 in aiops.c. Launching this binary results in a
> > nearly deadlock of the whole machine (load goes above 30, until my
> > CRTL-C goes through).
>
> There is a race condition that could cause the load to skyrocket this
> way if the main thread god suspended for more than 3 seconds. A
> preleminary fix is available at
> http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/squid-1.2.beta20-1.asyncio.patch

Thanx. I will try this patch. Will it go into beta21?

> > Anyone running the 1.2.20 threaded with snmp support? I added the
> > snmp_conf options D. Wessels posted to this list. This, and NUMTHREADS
> > is the only difference to the proxy described below.
>
> I haven't tried it with SNMP, but I frequently run a test squid with a
> large number of threads on Linux (100 threads).. No problem with the
> load here after fixing the race condition.

How much of a performance improve in comparison to a 1.1 squid? Does the
threading pay of?

> > FATAL: You've run out of swap file numbers.
>
> What kind of objects did you test with? This can happen if your test
> data has a average object size less than 7KB and more than 15000 cached
> objects. (It shouldn't be a fatal error, but it is).

Unlikely. This is a test proxy. I didn't touch the avg_object_size. I
changed the cache dir layout though:

cache_dir /EUnet/squid-1.2.20/cache 10 16 16

The proxy handled ~5M GET requests until the error occured.

> I assume you haven't changed store_avg_object_size. The default 13 KB is
> a safe bet in most situations.

Nope. Didn't touched it.

Quoting Duane Wessels (wessels@nlanr.net):
>It would be helpful to see the output of 'client mgr:storedir' before
>it crashes. That will show you what percentage of swap files are in
>use.

Sorry, i scrapped the whole squid dir shortly after the crash. I will
fetch this value the next time squid bails ...

Dirk