Re: Transparent Proxy

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Markus Sabadello wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got some nice replies to my question about transparent proxying...
> thank you very much. Everything is working fine now, but I've got
> another question: After a normal HTTP connection has been redirected
> to the proxy, how does squid actually know the destination host of
> the connection? Does squid rely on a 'Host:' header to be sent by the
> browser, or is there any system call that can be used to obtain the
> destination host?

If you have squid configured correctly, it will first check for a Host:
header and build a URL with that. Failing that it can do a system call to
determine the orginial destination address and build the URL with that.

/ Eric Stern - PacketStorm Technologies - (519) 837-0824 /
/ http://www.packetstorm.on.ca /
/ WebSpeed - a transparent web caching server - available now! /