Re: FATAL: Repeated failures to free up disk space

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:56:02 +1000

Andreas Jung wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 02:31:59PM +0100, Nick O'Brien wrote:
> > I think (the Squid hackers can correct me on this) what is happening is
> > that your cache is filling up much faster than Squid can expire enough
> > objects to clear the space necessary. Squid is therefore throwing a
> > "wobbly" and crashing.
> >
> Well the situation was the following. The partition with the squid cache
> had about 100MB free. I reduced the cache size from 1 GB to 100 MB for
> some reasons. After HUPing squid started to free its cache. After freeing
> about 400 MB squid crashed with the message I posted. Strange behaviour.

That is exactly what it is designed to do. Not necessarily what's
expected, but it is what's designed. It'll start madly throwing away
objects, and then after a certain amount of time throwing things away,
if it's still over the high-water mark it assumes there is some deeper
problem, and shuts down.