Re: My 1.1.20 on Solaris 2.6 x86 stalls

From: Chris Tilbury <cudch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:15:10 +0100

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 11:44:06PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Bill Vickery wrote:
> > The setup is Solaris 2.6 x86 running on a dual Pentium Pro, 64MB
> ..
> > normal/no activity. The big clue (I hope) is that trying to open a new
> > telnet or rsh during the "stall" also fails to connect. They also
> > appear to be blocked until everything mysteriously comes good again.
>
> Have you disabled Solaris nscd? It is single-threaded caching name
> service and can have a very bad inpact on concurrent DNS lookups. Anyway
> it is quite useless on a Squid machine as Squid caches names on it's
> own.
>
> "/etc/init.d/nscd stop" may do the trick (I think there is some
> configuration file that should be updated as well. I don't have access
> to a Solaris system at home).

A better idea is to edit /etc/nscd.conf and make sure there is a line at the
top which reads

enable-cache hosts no

If you really don't want nscd running at all, then just remove
/etc/nscd.conf and it won't be started at boot.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)