Re: How many redirectors to spawn?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:55:33 +1000

It depends (IMO) on how long your redirector takes to process an
individual URL. Mine takes <7ms, for example, and I use two. Number two
doesn't get hit terribly frequently. (<5%)

If you've got a multi-processor system, you can go nuts and run one for
every CPU in the box. It's fun. Trust me.

Essentially the use of multiples is to spread the queue of waiting URLs
from squid and distribute that queue a little. It takes the load off
some. When all your redirectors fill up, I _think_ you will get blocking
on requests.