How many redirectors to spawn?

From: Simon Rainey <srainey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:29:06 +0100

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it all the same. I've written
a Squid redirector in C to block porn. The ever-increasing list of banned
sites currently runs to 160kB (8700 lines) and the redirector loads this
into memory at start-up.

What are the benefits of spawning more than one redirector process given
that the host has a single CPU? If I spawn more than one then Squid does
use them all, but the second is hit about 10% of the time while the fifth
is down below 1%.

Thanks for any input.

Simon.

Simon Rainey Direct Line: 01235 823238
Principal Internet Development Engineer Fax: 01235 823424
RM Internet for Learning E-mail: srainey@rmplc.net
New Mill House, 183 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 4SE, England