Re: How many redirectors to spawn?

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:14:18 +0200

Simon Rainey wrote:

> What are the benefits of spawning more than one redirector process given
> that the host has a single CPU? If I spawn more than one then Squid does
> use them all, but the second is hit about 10% of the time while the fifth
> is down below 1%.

There are 2 reasons I can see for multiple redirectors.
On a single CPU, a redirector could be subject to the same latency problem than
a dnsserver process: it could make a blocking call to a function involving
access to remote data or an algorithm which is not time-determinist. If you
have only one redirector in this case, each request to your proxy could block
following ones until the first request is redirected.
If you have a multiprocessor system, you can benefit from this too. The
redirector could take a non negligeable amount of time versus the mean time
between two requests at peak load (you could end up with a redirector unable to
process the requests at the rate they are made), bringing more CPU power could
solve this problem.

Lionel Bouton.