Not refreshing when on Transparent Proxy ?

From: Walter Klomp <walter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 17:36:48 +0800

Hi Guys,

I am using Squid 1.2 beta 20 in transparent proxy mode. Something strange is
happening here.

If I don't set the browser to use the proxy server, the squid will intercept
the http request and get the page, but upon trying to get a refresh, squid
will still give the old page back, although it has been updated on the
server.

When I set my browser to use the proxy (by putting it in the preferences)
everything works fine.

Now the following problem occurs. I have this proxy server in place to
intercept EVERYTHING www related, including requests from other proxies in
my downstream networks. Basically to save as much bandwidth as possible. Is
there any way I can force squid to do a refresh when a browser requests for
it, or is it a limitation of the HTML protocol, in which case what would be
the next best thing to do ?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Walter Klomp.