upgrading + keeping cache?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:44:24 +1000 (EST)

I'm currently in the slightly embarressing situation of having upgraded
(and blown away) our caching without formally notifying the other people
we significantly peer with (one of those 'but I thought you knew when I
told you at the conference' things - my fault)... and now to make ammends
I will most probably be doing their upgrades for them.

However, since we're talking non-trival cache sizes (18gig odd), we would
like to keep the existing cache. (yes, I'm very well away that the cached
files are stored differently etc etc, read on)

Since we are 0cost between each other, and I just so happen to have a
nearly empty cache, I hit upon doing something silly like:

grab the URLS in the oldcache
oldcache: cat /cache1dir/log | cut -d ' ' -f 6- >urllist
        ( ok, I may have the cut wrong, I don't have a 1.1.x logfile about
          anymore ;) )

reconfigure the new cache to *only* query the old cache, and get the urls
into the newcache ( gee, that bitbucket gets very full! ;) ):

newcache: wget -i urllist -O /dev/null

reinstall the old cache and configure it to only query the new cache:

oldcache: wget -i urllist -O /dev/null

Now, apart from absolutely killing our respective links (hmmm, might be
easier to cart the machine around ;) ), can anyone see a better way to
preserve a significant bit of the cache?

--==--
Bruce.