Re: Access denied problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 02:57:39 +0200

Paonia wrote:

> I am getting access denied from some of the time.
> These message always seem to implicate pb.cache.nlanr.net.
> Any ideas

> The following error was encountered:
> * Access Denied.
> Access control configuration prevents your request from being
> allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you
> feel this is incorrect.
> Generated Mon, 25 May 1998 10:00:12 GMT by pb.cache.nlanr.net (Squid/1.2.beta21)

This looks a lot like miss_access denials.

Duane, is pb.cache.nlanr.net limiting miss_access?

miss_access in it's current form does not work well. Properly configured
peers should have miss_access, or they will get "Access denied" from
time to time. miss_access can be used to punish peers that mis-configure
you as a parent without a prior agreement.

I think there is plans to change Squid to handle miss_access in a proper
way, but to my knowledge none of the current releases (including
1.2beta) can handle miss_access without failing from time to time due to
race conditions and ICP limitations.

---
Henrik Nordström