RE: Cache protocol

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:10:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Kamiski Nicolas wrote:

> Ok for the Carp, I am not interesting in.
> I know ICP, I read the FAQ on Cache Digest, but what is NetDB ?.

Squid used to build a "database" with round trip times (RTTs) from the cache
box to origin servers and peers. The database was stored locally and used to
specify corresponding RTT in ICP replies. Squid then could choose a peer that
was the closest to the origin server, minimizing retrieval time.

Recent version of Squid exchange these databases. This exchange allows for
fresh RTTs from peers to be available even if ICP is disabled or is not
activated often.

NetDB exchange support is "experimental".

Alex.