Re: Skyrocketting DNS lookup times

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:34:45 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Evaghelos Tsiotsios wrote:

> Our primary DNS server is on NT 4.0. (M$ DNS server)
> Taking a look at our cachemgr output I see that, although I have
> enough dnsserver processes (3-4 always spare: i.e. 0 requests), the
> lookup times are skyrocketting, ranging in the 10 seconds area.
> Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
> Has anyone tried the Software.com BIND port to NT?

See what happens if you set up BIND on a Unix box (eg. your proxy cache).
But, then again, it might just be that you've gotten a bad lot of dns
entries.

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/