Performance problem on Solaris 2.5.1

From: Ery Punta Hendraswara <phunta@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 20:27:31 -0700

Dear,

We have Squid V 1.1.21 running on Ultra Sparc 2, RAM 512MB, Harddisk
24G, with OS Solaris 2.5.1. We encounter performance degradation after
running the squid for about 10-12 Hours, we have already follow the
instruction that we got from the mailing list digest, but we still
encounter the problem.
Right now we use GNUMalloc package for the malloc routine and GCC
2.7.2.1 as the compiler. The statistic form the cache information show
the average connection for 1 hour about 50.000-80.000 connections. There
are 20.000 to 30.000 users we have that connected to the internet via
that solaris box (actually we have 3 identical machine).
The main configuration of squid.conf show like this :

cache_swap 17000
cache_mem 200

httpd_accel 202.134.0.227 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

we running the machine on transparent proxy mode inconjunction with
Cisco 7500 router. IP filter 3.2.7 have been installed on the solaris
box as the redirector. The main problem we got for 10 Hours period, the
memory shown by the vmstat always decrement (it's seem memory leak) into
smaller number (we notice almost 70% of the swap memory used). Paging
activity is so high, and the disk activity shown by the iostat at the
level 100%!.
Could be the memory allocation problem solve by using any other malloc
library, for example DL malloc ? although we got problem on the
compiling the DL malloc library for our squid 1.1.21. Or, the Metadisk
daemon we use can eat all the io process ? (the iostat show very high
number), avg disk service about 20ms ...
Is there anybody can help us, we really desperately to get the squid
machine fine tuned :(

Thanks

Ery Punta Hw
Product Manage