Re: Performance problem on Solaris 2.5.1

From: Marco Aurelio S. Lopes <marco@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:56:30 -0300

At 21:55 09/06/98 -0700, you wrote:
>That's right
>
>we got very big sr on the vmstat result, i'll shrink the cache_mem value
to 128,
>and hope that work :)
>btw, what about the dlmalloc is there any idea ? i got problem to compile
>that....(or should i use that ?), and about the NOVM version i got the same
>problem the daemon crash for a little period.

If I were you I would either double the RAM in the machine, or half the disk
space allocated for the cache. We have a squid cache running with 12 GB
dedicated for cache and 512MB of RAM. It is Solaris x86 2.5.1 with fairly
recent patch cluster installed. The configs for cache_mem and cache_swap
are as follows:

cache_mem 220
cache_swap 10000

and the memory consumption according to top is the following:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
14768 root 34 -15 398M 309M sleep 145.6H 10.78% 10.28% squid

From my own experience, decreasing the cache_swap variable alone would
cause a considerable decrease in memory consumption.

Marco Aurelio S. Lopes
Internet Consultant - Unisys Network
Unisys Brasil Ltda.
Sao Paulo - SP - Brazil