Proxy Authentication question

From: Allen Armstrong <allen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 00:04:28 -0700

Hi,

I am looking to allow only certain users access to my proxy/cache server.
I read the faq at http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-10.html#ss10.7 and
it mentioned something about using ident server. As we only have only
have Windows 95 stations I don't think ident server is the way to
implement authentication if there is one availible to Windows 95. Is
there one availible for windows 95?

Maybe the second second recommendation of authentication is the way to
authenticate users. What the faq doesn't go into is how does it work?
Do my users enter their user name and password once or do they have to
enter it every time they visit a different web page? If only once what
happens when the user logs out and leaves for class or someone else logs
in? How does it know the old your has logged out of the web?

Is there any other recommendations about using authentication would be
appreciated. Or any other recommended documents/faq?

Allen Armstrong
Network Administrator