Re: forwarding / Auto redirecting proxy's ?

From: David Darville <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:03:08 +0100

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:48:32 +1000, Adam Neat wrote:

>What we're trying to do is have an 'alias' of some type for our front end
>proxy.
>
>Something like
>
>Real Name: proxy.ipax.com
>alias 1: proxy-1.ipax.com
>alias 2: proxy-2.ipax.com
>
>My question is, does squid let you do this ?

You can just configure your squid box with multible IP-addresses,
either as IP-alias, or multiple NIC's.

>Or better still, can you configure a squid box to simply handball (pass) all
>icp and tcp requests onto another box ?

Sure - just configure squid with 0 cache, and use the other box as a
parent. Or you could use a set of primitive tcp/udp proxies, which
forwards all http/icp connections the the real squid box.

But why not put up multible machines with squid, all configured as each
others sibling's, and distribute the load between the machines.

- David Darville