Re: cache_swap size

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 01:04:28 -0600

Pattara Kiatisevi writes:

>Dear guys,
>
>We are from NECTEC, Thailand running 2 cache servers, cache1 and
>cache2.nectec.or.th . Although we tell our downstream nodes to point to us
>both cache1 and cache2 but it seems that cache1 now doing much work than
>cache2. Then I try new method by separating domain,
>
>At cache1:
>
>cache_host cache2.nectec.or.th parent 8080 3130 proxy-only
>cache_host_domain cache2.nectec.or.th com
>
>At cache2:
>
>cache_host cache1.nectec.or.th parent 8080 3130 proxy-only
>cache_host_domain cache1.nectec.or.th !.com

This is a reasonable thing to do. In our experience, the COM
domain makes up 60% or more of all requests, so its not a
perfect balance, but its pretty good. Your percentage might
be closer to 50%.

>I'm not sure if this is a good way to this, will the data in both cache is
>duplicated? And I wonder about cache size, do we have a formula to

Since you use 'proxy-only' there will not be very much duplication,
but there could be some.

>calculate the cache size. Cache1 is Alpha2x5/466MHz 512MB without
>1,500,000-2,000,000 request/day and 25 GB of cache space causes it to have
>a very slow response time. Now I just restart the cache space and both of
>them works fine (fast).

If you have bad response times, you should decrease your cache size a
little or find some other way to reduce memory usage. Going from 25 GB
to, say 23 GB will probably have very little effect on your hit ratio.

Duane W.