LDAP authentication with Squid

From: <rstagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:44:19 +0100

Squidsters,

Over time I've seen a few references on here to LDAP authentication; and
I've looked at the available patch to do the job. Now, suddenly, I've been
handed a requirement to implement same; with instructions to replace Squid
with Netscape Proxy to permit integration with Netscape directory server.

Clearly, I don't want to do this. I've been researching LDAP most of the
afternoon, but I have yet to find the answer to my most fundamental
question:

** How does LDAP authentication _work_? ** That is, what does the user see?
What is the dialogue between servers? What changes have to be made to Squid
to get all this to happen?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good webpage/FAQ describing the
ins and outs of authenticating users at a proxy server using an LDAP
directory? Is it really feasible at all? Should I just bite the bullet and
go for Netscrape Proxy?

Regards

Richard Stagg