Re: broken dnsservers

From: Chris Tilbury <cudch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:46:04 +0100

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 06:21:47PM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:

>> What version of Solaris is this? Have you checked (as per the FAQ)
>> /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart to see if the ypserv process is being started
>> with the "-d" flag? If you have no SunOS 4.x clients using your NIS maps,
>> have you checked the yp Makefile doesn't have the "B=-b" line in it (don't
>> comment this out if you do have SunOS 4.x clients, though)?
>
> Chris, you must've missed my first posting - I am running FreeBSD
> 2.2.6-RELEASE

Ah ....

> I will play with 'ypserv -d' ...

I think this turns debugging on under FreeBSD, which isn't really helpful.

> The yp Makefile has 'B=-b' in it - I will try remaking with it commented
> out (the Makefile suggests that this will stop ypserv from doing DNS
> lookups, which is what I want, I think)

It will do. It removes the YP_INTERDOMAIN key from the hosts map. If
present, this key tells ypserv to pass unresolved queries off to DNS to
attempt to resolve them.

I think /etc/host.conf specifies the order in which the various nameservices
are queried under FreeBSD and you may not need the YP_INTERDOMAIN key.
Someone who knows more about FreeBSD will need to comment on this, though,
since what I know in detail about FreeBSD can be written on the back of a
postage stamp!

> Again, I'm on FreeBSD ... but on a whim, I did remove the leading
> underscore (see source), but that also was unresolved. This routine may
> exist in one of the FreeBSD libraries, but I know not which one!

It's part of the resolver library, libresolv.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)