Reliablity and multiple disks

From: <hamster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:58:19 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I'm busy specing up a new proxy/accelerator (It's nice to be able to
plan my dream cache ;) Given that this is going to be an accelerator
for a large number of customer virtual servers it has to be as
resiliant to failure as possible (up to and including a disk crash in
the cache).

I've been reading the list and making frantic notes about raid and
other factors affecting performance. We were planning a raid cache to
start with to give the resiliance to handle disk crashes, however I've
now been reading about multiple cache_dir entries.

For the moment let's assume the following

--[ squid.conf ]--
cache_dir /cache/disk1
cache_dir /cache/disk2
cache_dir /cache/disk3
cache_dir /cache/disk4
--[ squid.conf ]--

Assuming one of these disks dies and goes off to whatever heaven disks
go to what is going to happen to squid, will it handle the failure
gracefully and keep going with a reduced cache or will it barf and
fall over completely?

        Mark

--
Mark Lowes <hamster@lspace.org>			http://hamster.wibble.org/