Re: Is Expires fix on hem.passagen.se in 1.1.22?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:22:11 +0200

Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> The same code appears in 1.1.22 in a slightly different place, but
> I think it's not identical to the diff, so I want to check first.

The same code ought to be there. All the patch does is move it around to
the "correct" place. The 1.1.21 patch applies to 1.1.22 as well without
change. No, the patch is NOT in 1.1.22.

> Is anybody using the Expires: patch successfully? It seems like it's
> the Right Thing To Do.

It depends on your opinion on how Expires: and refresh_pattern should
interact.

With the patch the min age is only used if the server has not set a
explicit expire time. Or put another way: refresh pattern min age is
used on all objects where Squid calculates the expiry time based on
Last-Modified, or when no information is available from the origin
server.

Without the patch refresh_pattern min age overrides any server set
expiry time.

Overriding Expires: is a HTTP protocol violation, and if we are to
violate HTTP then it should be done with some kind of explicit keyword
which requires at the use of least a explicit server name or domain.
Doing it world-wite based on file types is most likely not a good idea.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker
http://hem.passagen.se/hno/Welcome.html